11 students injured in balloon blast in Odisha capital

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Oct 16:

At least 11 students sustained burn injuries when a gas balloon got burst after coming in contact with a splinter from a cracker near Naveen Niwas, the residence of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik at Airport square here this morning.

students injured balloon blast

Among the injured are nine girls and two boys. The injured girls are students of Ramadevi Women’s University, reports said.

They have been admitted to the Capital hospital here and are undergoing treatment.

“They have sustained superficial burns on their foreheads, hands and other exposed parts of body. Their condition is stable and they are being treated in the burn ward,” Capital Hospital Superintendent Binod Mishra briefing newsmen said.

The injured girls are from Ramadevi Women’s University, he added.

The mishap occurred when large number of students mostly members of the Biju Chhatra Janata Dal had gathered outside the Chief Minister’s residence to greet him on his birthday, when burning fragments of the gas balloon that got burst fell on them.  The balloon caught fire and burst after coming in contact with a live cracker, eyewitnesses said.

Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik visited the government-run hospital and inquired about the health of the students undergoing treatment.

“I have come to see the injured students. The doctors say they will be well soon,” Patnaik said after his visit to the hospital.

Several ministers and MLAs including Health Minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak and Law Minister Arun Sahu visited Capital Hospital to meet the injured students. Bhubaneswar Mayor Ananta Narayan Jena too accompanied the ruling party leaders to the hospital.

Congress leaders too rushed to the hospital to meet the injured students.


Also Read

Comments are closed.