Reported by Santosh Jagdev
Bhubaneswar, Aug 31:
Three girl students of Kendua Sevashram under Ranpur police station limits in Odisha’s Nayagarh district, who were taken ill after consuming what is suspected to be contaminated food last night, were admitted to the Capital Hospital here this evening after their condition deteriorated at the government hospital in Tangi where they had been initially admitted.
Three girl students, who were accompanied with their family members, were admitted in the Pediatrics ward of the hospital .
According to reports, one girl student died while over 60 girl students, a teacher and a school guard were taken ill after consuming contaminated food at the school on Saturday night.
Dr M Sahu, Head of the Department of Pediatrics, said the victims were suffering from high fever, vomiting and loose motion which are tell-tale symptoms of food poisoning. “After a thorough check-up, the ward attendants are taking care of these students giving them medicines in time. Their health condition is stable now,” he said.
“In case we find the students’ health condition deteriorating, we will immediately refer them to the SCB Medical College and hospital,” Dr Sahu added.
The Sevashram authorities rushed the sick students to the government hospital in Tangi after some of them suffered from vomiting, loose motions and high fever.
27 students are still undergoing treatment at the Tangi hospital, hospital sources said.
Meanwhile, Nayagarh collector Hemanta Kumar Padhi this evening ordered suspension of three staff of the school in connection with the food poisoning case. The suspended staff are the head sevak, assistant superintendent and cook of the school.