Born on August 20, 1944 in Bombay, Rajiv Gandhi became the youngest Prime Minister of India at the age of 40.
On the occasion of his birth anniversary, here are inspiring quotes by him to read:
- To the nameless and unsung heroes of our freedom struggle, we offer our humble tribute. Their life-blood nourishes the body of independent India.
- For some days, people thought that India was shaking. But there are always tremors when a great tree falls.
- The freedom movement transformed the status of women. Women fought along with men as comrades. In the process, the shackles that had bound them fell away.
- I didn’t have any personal goals when I came, but after being in politics – after seeing people, their difficulties, their wants – I think our goal has to be to eliminate poverty from India.
- There has to be a national consensus. We cannot legislate without overwhelming national consensus that religious and communal groups should be totally banned from politics.
- Civilizations are built by the ceaseless toil of a succession of generations. With softness and sloth, civilizations succumb. Let us beware of decadence.
- The secretariat will play a pivotal role in decision-making above a certain level, where basic policies are involved, but below that, we will have to leave the implementation to whoever is in charge.
- We cannot and will not rest until we have won true swaraj for the hungry and spiritually starving millions – until we have wiped out poverty from our land.