Bhubaneswar: Under the influence of Cyclone Gulab, which is likely to cross north Andhra Pradesh-south Odisha coasts by the evening of 26th September, several districts of Odisha are likely to experience wind having speed varying from 55 to 95 kmph.
Below are district-wise wind speed predictions as per the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
* 75-85 kmph gusting to 95 kmph from afternoon of 26th September till midnight along & off south Odisha coasts (Ganjam, Gajapati districts).
* 55-65 kmph gusting to 75 kmph along & off Khordha, Puri, Rayagada and Koraput districts during the same period.
* 50-60 kmph gusting to 70 kmph over Nabarangpur and Malkangiri districts during the same period.
The cyclonic storm is likely to cross north Andhra Pradesh – south Odisha coasts between Visakhapatnam and Gopalpur around Kalingapatnam by evening of 26th September.
Storm Surge Warning
Tidal wave of about 0.5 m height above the astronomical tide likely to inundate low lying areas of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Ganjam districts during the time of landfall.
Below are the expected damages as per the IMD.
* Damage to thatched huts.
* Minor damage to power and communication lines due to breaking of branches.
* Major damage to Kutcha and minor damage to Pucca roads.
* Some damage to paddy crops, banana, papaya trees and orchards.
* Sea water inundation in low lying areas after erosion of Kutcha embankments.
* Localized flooding of roads, inundation and water logging in low lying areas and closure of underpasses mainly in urban areas of the concerned regions.
* Occasional reduction in visibility due to heavy rainfall.
* Disruption of traffic in cities due to water logging in roads leading to increased travel time.
* Possibilities of damage to vulnerable structure.
* Localized landslides/mudslides.
* Damage to horticulture and standing crops in some areas due to inundation and strong winds.
* It may lead to riverine flooding in some river catchments.