Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Cuttack, Sep 24:
The Odisha High Court Bar Association members today decided to go on a two-day cease work, beginning today, to protest the arrest of former advocate general Asok Mohanty by the CBI for his alleged links with the Artha Tatwa (AT) Group CMD Pradip Sethy.
The Association will decide on the future course of its agitation on September 26, sources said.
Earlier on Tuesday the State Bar Council had decided to move the court against the arrest of Mohanty by the CBI from his residence in Cuttack on Monday.
“The CBI has not followed proper procedure while arresting Mohanty. There was no ground for taking him on a two-day remand. He was cooperating with the CBI in its investigation and there was no record and evidence that he was trying to flee the state”, Manas Ranjan Mohapatra, president of the State Bar Council had told reporters after an emergency meeting on Tuesday.
Mohapatra had argued that the house owned by Mohanty at Markat Nagar in Cuttack was not in the property list of AT Group and that the former AG had bought the house which was personally owned by Pradip Sethy.
“Since Sethy is involved in the AT Group chit fund scam, CBI has dragged Mohanty in the case”, Mohapatra said.
The CBI will be producing Mohanty before the special CJM court here today as his remand period ends.
Mohapatra had told the media Tuesday that they would seek Mohanty’s bail in the court of the Special CBI Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) and if its rejected then they will move the District Sessions Judge court to seek his bail.