10 foods that help lower high blood pressure
|Bhubaneswar: We are what we eat. This means the nutrition we consume or chose to skip, plays a crucial role in determining our overall health. This goes the same for people struggling with hypertension commonly known as high blood pressure.
Many things can contribute to high blood pressure in a person. Improper diet, excessive stress, and disrupted sleep cycle, among other things . Then follows the inevitable prescription drugs and a long list of ‘not-to-dos’.
But what if there was an organic way to balance the fluctuating blood pressure levels!
You heard that right. High blood pressure can gradually be checked by making slight changes in your regular diet routine and lifestyle. Here are 10 foods that will help you do so:
1.Pumpkin seeds: these seeds or the oil extracted from them have proved to be effective natural remedies for high blood pressure. The seeds are rich in magnesium, potassium and amino acid ‘arginine’ that supports the production of nitric oxide in the body, hence, reducing blood pressure and relaxing blood vessels in the body.
2. Citrus fruits: adding a bowl of grapes, some oranges or lemons in the daily diet may check a rising blood pressure. The vitamins and minerals in the fruits also take care of the heart health and reduce the risks of health attack.
3. Pistachio: this member from the cashew family is high in anti-oxidants and thus, plays a key role in lowering cholesterol and heart diseases in addition to checking blood pressure. However, if you are allergic to pistachio, there are many other options in this list.
4. Berries: another colourful option in the list is berries. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or any of your favourite berries will do the trick. Apart from antioxidants, berries contain anthocyanins that give them their vibrant colours. They reduce blood pressure levels and also relax the blood vessels by increasing nitric oxide levels in the blood.
5. Fatty Fish: As we already know that omega-3 fats are a person’s best friends. Fatty fish like salmon in meals reduce blood pressure by checking inflammation in blood vessels. Higher consumption of these fishes has shown to lower hypertension in people.
6. Carrots: the sweet and crunchy modified root is rich in phenolic compounds that help reduce blood pressure and relax blood vessels. Although, these can be consumed raw or cooked, study says raw carrot consumption is visibly more effective.
7. Yogurt: regular consumption of this thick dairy product helps check blood pressure. In addition to that, it also helps manage hypertension.
8. Broccoli: the green plant from the family of cabbage with its flavonoid antioxidant properties help control blood pressure and also enhances vessel function in the body.
9. Tomatoes: the carotenoid pigment called lycopene in tomatoes help significantly balance blood pressure levels and also takes care of heart health.
10. Beets: whether consumed cooked, raw or gulped down as juice, beets, known as storehouses of nitrates, serve fantastic in lowering blood pressure and risks of heart diseases.
Make necessary changes in your diet chart and see which among these foods works best for you. On top of that, you can also accommodate brisk walking and breathing exercises to your daily routine to experience best results.