Kendrapara, Sep 24:
Twenty-six thatched houses were gutted Monday when a fire broke out in Loknathpur village, about 20 km from here.
While the thatched houses were reduced to rubble, nearly a dozen of cattle died in the mishap though no human casualty was reported, police said.
The fire that erupted in the corner of a house engulfed adjoining structures in no time and devoured all that came its way, they said adding efforts are on to ascertain the exact cause of the fire but electrical short-circuit was suspected to have led to its outbreak.
Fire fighters from Kendrapara had rushed to the spot and stopped the blaze from spreading further after two hours of operation. (PTI)