Guru Amar Das was the third of the Ten Gurus of Sikhism. He became Guru on 16 April, 1552 at the age of 73.
Guru Amar Das ji was born in 1479, 10 years after the birth of Guru Nanak. He lived in a village namely Basarke, near Amritsar.
Guru Amar Das contributed a total of 907 revelatory hymns, that are incorporated in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
On the occasion of his birth anniversary, here are best quotes by him:
- When the mind is filthy, everything is filthy; by washing the body, the mind is not cleaned.
- They are not said to be husband and wife, who merely sit together. Rather they alone are called husband and wife, who have one soul in two bodies.
- They who quarrel with others, instead of quarreling with their own hearts, waste their lives.
- Like a lamp lit in the darkness, the spiritual wisdom of the Guru dispels ignorance.
- The world is polluted with the filth of egotism, suffering in pain. This filth sticks to them because of their love of duality.
- By Guru’s Grace, the Lord comes to abide in the mind, and the filth of egotism is dispelled.
- Only a fool listens to the words of the fool.
- This world is deluded by doubt; how rare are those who understand this.
- Egotism, possessiveness, evil-mindedness, and suffering depart, when the Lord’s Name, the Ocean of Virtue, comes to dwell within the heart.