Centre nod for medical college in Puri

Reported by Chinmaya Dehury
Bhubaneswar, May 5:

The Central government has approved upgradation of the Puri district headquarters hospital in Odisha to a medical college in line with four other medical colleges already sanctioned at Balasore, Koraput, Balangir and Baripada in the state.

The proposed medical college will have student intake capacity of 100 while around Rs 200 crore will be spent for the upgradation of the hospital to a full-fledged medical college and hospital.

The project cost will be borne under the Centrally-sponsored Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Surakhsa Yojana scheme. The Centre will provide 75 per cent and the state will shoulder the rest 25 per cent.

“Under the scheme, DHHs having more than 200 beds are considered for such upgradation. The Puri DHH with 270 beds qualifies for upgradation to a medical college and hospital. The medical college is expected to be operational by 2016,”said Health secretary Pradipta Kumar Mohapatra.

Meanwhile, the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) of the Union government has given its nod to set up two medical colleges in Gajapati and Rayagada districts on PPP mode. Each medical college will have 100 seats and 500 beds. The projects would be executed at a cost of Rs 326 crore each.

Also Read

Comments are closed.