IIT student’s death: Court quashes police closure report, orders probe

New Delhi, April 22 :

A court Tuesday quashed a closure report filed by Delhi Police in the case of first year student of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, who allegedly committed suicide in 2011.

Rejecting the report, Metropolitan Magistrate Aakash Jain said there have been serious gaps and lacunae in the police investigation. Ordering further investigation by the Vasant Vihar SHO, he directed them to file a status report by July 25.

Delhi IIT ( source :indiacollegesearch.com)
Delhi IIT ( source :indiacollegesearch.com)

Chemical engineering student Dinesh Ahlawat (19) from Haryana’s Rohtak was found hanging in his hostel room at the Zanskar Hostel wing of the institute Aug 4, 2011. The family suspects foul play.

Advocate Karan Kalia appearing for Ahlawat’s father who moved court against police’s closure report said that court ordered that “the allegations of the complainant are grave and serious and has to be investigated”.

The Delhi Police, Nov 2, 2012 filed a closure report in the case stating that the Ahlawat committed suicide due to the fear of declaration of his result in the class 12 compartmental examination upon which his admission into the IIT was to be confirmed.

Kalia, however, told the court that reason mentioned in the closure report is totally “absurd and is factually incorrect”.

“The Investigating Officer stated that Ahlawat was under mental pressure or stress due to declaration of result on the fateful day. The fact is that the result was declared on Aug 2, 2011 and he scored 90 marks in that exams. He had full knowledge of scoring 90 marks before he died,” he added.

The advocate further argued that the investigating officer at no point investigated the angle of murder and abetment of suicide due to inhuman ragging, harassment and mental torture.

It was also submitted that police did not investigate the aspect of Ahlawat being murdered after his hands and legs were found to be tied. “The Investigating officer relies only on the report dated June 1, 2012 wherein the doctor opined that the deceased might have tied his own hands and legs in order to prevent any change of mind.”

Ahlawat’s hands and feet were tied when he was found hanged.

On the day of incident, he was last seen at 1 p.m. at a tea stall near the hostel. IIT officials had claimed the body was discovered at 4 p.m. His roommates immediately informed the authorities and Ahlawat was taken to a nearby hospital, where doctors declared him dead.


Also Read

Comments are closed.