Mahanadi row: Odisha’s ruling party members to visit C’garh today

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Aug 8:

The BJD’s 12-member panel formed to study the impact of projects upstream of Mahanadi on Odisha will visit Chhattisgarh tomorrow.

BJD Mahanadi panel

“After making an on-spot survey of Kelo project we will hold discussions with their officials at Raigarh and then visit Bilaspur. After holding discussions with Chhattisgarh officials at Bilaspur we will study as much as possible barrages out of the seven barrages being constructed on river Mahanadi,” said Prasanna Acharya chairperson of the BJD panel.

On the other hand, Chhattisgarh Water Resources Minister Brij Mohan Agarwal today reiterated that only 20% of Mahanadi’s water is being utilized by Chhattisgarh and Odisha and the rest 80% is draining into the sea while hitting out at Odisha for having not undertaken any project on Mahanadi after the construction of Hirakud Dam.

“Our EIC and engineers will be present and they will make available to them all information that they solicit on the projects. The combined use of Mahanadi’s water by Chhattisgarh and Odisha is only 20% and the rest drains into the sea. Odisha even after 50 years of establishment of Hirakud Dam hasn’t constructed any structure on Mahanadi,” said Agarwal today.

Former Congress Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Ajit Jogi who has floated a fledgling outfit Chhattisgarh Janata Congress today said: “We oppose Odisha’s opposition to Chhattisgarh projects. We will peacefully in true Gandhian manner oppose any move of Odisha to stall these projects.”


Also Read

Comments are closed.