Mamita Meher death: BJP observes 12-hour Kalahandi bandh

Bhawanipatna: A 12-hour bandh is being observed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Odisha’s Kalahandi district demanding resignation of Minister Dibya Shankar Mishra over his alleged links with Govind Sahu, prime accused in the murder of Sunshine English Medium School teacher Mamita Meher.

Holding placards and banners, workers of the party staged protest at various places here.

The saffron party has also demanded a CBI probe into the matter. The BJP has urged for closure of educational institutions, offices, shops and business establishments during the bandh from 6 am to 6 pm.

In a major development in the case of alleged murder of teacher Mamita Meher, prime accused Govind Sahu has confessed during questioning by police that he killed the woman and buried her body, reports said.

Sahu and Mamita went to Bhawanipatna in his car on October 8. While returning, Sahu murdered Mamita inside the vehicle. A day before (October 7), Sahu had directed an excavator operator to dig a pit at the stadium construction site of the Sunshine English Medium School at Mahaling in Kalahandi district. After the death of Mamita, the body was set on fire with the use of petrol and it was buried in the pit. Salt was also put on the body for quick decomposition, reported Kanak News quoting sources.

The excavator operator was on October 9 asked by Sahu to cover the pit with soil. Multiple persons are involved in the killing of Mamita and it was a pre-planned murder, the report added.

Sahu was yesterday apprehended by the Balangir Police. He was nabbed from his younger sister’s house at Budhipadar village under Bangamunda block in Balangir district.

The Balangir Police had announced Rs 1 lakh cash reward for sharing information on the absconder. Hours after announcement, he was apprehended by the police in the murder case.

Mamita’s body was yesterday exhumed from the site in the presence of police. She was working as a teacher at the school.

She went missing on October 8. Alleging involvement of Govind Sahu, managing committee president of the school, behind her missing, Mamita’s family members had lodged a complaint with police. On the basis of the FIR, police detained Sahu for questioning. He was kept at the Titlagarh police barrack.

However, Sahu escaped from police custody on October 17 night. Sahu went to the bathroom on the pretext of washing his hands and then fled the place.

Also Read

Comments are closed.