No takers: Over 27k engineering seats vacant in Odisha

Bhubaneswar: The demand for engineering courses is found to be declining as more than 27,000 engineering seats are still lying vacant in engineering colleges after second phase OJEE admission in Odisha.

Even after 4,073 seats were reduced in 2019-20 academic session in view of low percentage of students’ enrolment into engineering courses, the seats are still vacant after admission in two phases.

According to reports, the admission will be held for total 34,223 seats into engineering courses for the students secured rank in Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE) this year.

However, only 20% seats are filled this year so far and remaining 80% seats are vacant both in state-run and private engineering colleges.

Reports said, only 7,100 students have taken admission in two phases. More than 27,000 seats are yet to be filled. While the seats in the top branches of engineering courses have been filled, the students show less interest to get enrolled into non-trending courses both in government and private colleges.

However, some more seats are expected to be filled in special OJEE counselling.

“Few more students are expected to get admission into engineering courses after special OJEE counselling. Later, the admission will be held at college level. However, few more seats will remain vacant even after all phase admission,” said Odisha Private Engineering College Association (OPECA) Secretary Binod Dash.

The number of vacant seats indicates lack of willingness among the students to pursue the technical education in the state.

Also Read

Comments are closed.

close-link