Odisha Govt issues SOP to be followed at construction sites during lockdown
Bhubaneswar: As the Government has exempted specific construction activities from the second phase of the lockdown till May 3, the Revenue and Disaster Management Department has issued a list of standard operating procedure (SOP) to ensure adherence to social distancing norms and maintenance of hygiene at the work places to prevent spread of coronavirus.
Besides, as the state is going to experience hotter days in coming days, the department issued preventive measures to be followed at the work places.
SOP to be followed at Govt & private construction sites to prevent spread of COVID-19
1. Social distancing parameters are to be strictly enforced at the work sites among the
labourers, technicians, supervisors and others involved in the construction process.
2. Face masks are to be mandatorily used by all persons during the entire period of
stay in the work site.
3. If workers are required from outside, special transportation facility shall be
arranged by the Contractor/ Construction Agency without any dependency on the public transport system. These vehicles should be allowed to operate with 30-40%
of their passenger capacity.
4. In case of labour camps operating at the work site, social distancing norms shall be
observed in working areas, sleeping quarters and as well as in dining areas. No
gathering or close proximity among workers shall be allowed.
5. Contractor/ Construction Agency will ensure provision of hand wash with buckets of
water and mugs with soap and towel arranged in such a way that workers don’t
have to gather around to wash their hands.
6. The Contractor/ Construction Agency will put up display boards containing do’s and
don’ts issued by Health and Family Welfare Department for prevention of spreading
of COVID-19 at the construction site.
7. Contractor/ Construction Agency will conduct orientation/training programme for
the workers in hand washing and personal hygiene.
8. Workers of more than 60 years of age are not to be allowed to work in the
9. Sick, elderly and people having symptoms of cold, cough, sneezing are not to be
allowed to work at any cost. If such symptoms are seen with workers, contractors/ construction agencies will make arrangement for health consultations of concerned
workers in the nearest health centre.
10. Anybody detected with Severe Acute Respiratory Indications (SARI) and Influenza
like Indications (ILI) is to be immediately reported to the nearest PHC/ CHC/ Health Centre/ District HQ Hospital/nearest administrative office such as Block Office/Tehsil Office and all steps will be taken as per advice of the health centre.
11. There shall be complete prohibition of tobacco and spitting in work sites. 12. Contractor/ Construction Agency/ Executive Officer in-charge will keep a list of hospitals/clinics in the nearby areas, which are authorized to treat COVID-19 patients at all times.
Besides, in view of the rising temperature, the department issued the following heat wave preventive measures to be observed at work places.
1. Adequate shading arrangement must be made at the work places to protect the
workers from scorching heat.
2. No work should be executed during the peak hours form 11.00 am to 3.00 pm.
3. There should be adequate, safe potable drinking water for the workers and other
4. There should be first-aid-box containing essential medicines, ORS, Glucose etc. at
the worksite for the workers.
5. Safety Health and Environment (SHE) parameters will be observed at construction
sites. The Contractor/ Construction Agency/ Officer in charge of the construction work should ensure that all the above conditions are in place before starting the work.