Odisha takes preventive steps in view of Coronavirus outbreak in China
Bhubaneswar: As the novel Coronavirus (nCoV) spread its tentacles in China and few cases were reported in some parts of India, the Odisha government today asked major hospitals and airports in the State to closely monitor the situation and create the facilities for management.
Director Public Health, Dr. Ajit Kumar Mohanty wrote a letter to SCBMCH, Cuttack; VSSMCH, Burla; Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar; CDMO of Jharsuguda hospital; Jharsuguda Airport Director; Director of the Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar; Director of Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda; CDMO of Paradeep Port Trust Hospital; General Manager of East Coast Railway/ South Eastern Railway.
Following the 5T review meeting chaired by the Principal Secretary of Health & Family Welfare, the State government has issued the following advisory to the hospitals and airports.
1. Any travel related cases reported to the community would be picked up and contact shall be followed up by the integrated disease surveillance program as per the interim guideline V1 (WHO) January 2020 (WHO/2019 nCoV/Surveillance/v2020.1) enclosed.)
2. The Airport authority of India based at Bhubaneswar & Jharsuguda will be requested to facilitate entry of screening & issue instruction for Airlines to follow the international Civil Aviation guideline for managing and notifying anybody reporting illness on flights originating from China & disembarking India directly or indirectly. Airport authority in those locations in Odisha will establish a screening centre and report the identification of such cases to the CDM & PHO of the districts and Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar in case of Biju Patnaik International Airport
3. SCB Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack, VSS Medical College, Burla & Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar will function as Nodal centres for isolation & treatment of such cases. The Superintendent of concerned MCH & the Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar / The District Headquarters Hospital, Jharsuguda will also function as the Nodal centres for isolation & management of cases reported to them. The Director, Capital hospital, Bhubaneswar/ The CDM & PHO, Jharsuguda will take urgent steps for preparedness by creating facility for special wards for isolation, treatment including ICU care. All the centres are advised to have 24 x 7 control room for monitoring of such cases.
4. The treatment facilities in the hospitals will under function preferably the Pulmonary Medicine department/ Medicine when the Pulmonary Medicine is not available & the hospital will designate one faculty as Nodal officer for management of SARI. The services of the departments like Anaesthesia, ENT, Microbiology, Pathology or any other departments can be availed as & when required. The superintendent/ The Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar may form a treatment committee for this purpose.
5. The National Institute of Virology, Pune has been fully geared up the samples of the nCov.
6. Drugs & consumables may be indented to the OSMCL and during non availability of hospital stocks may be locally purchased to ensure free treatment under UHC.
7. The DPH, Odisha will take steps for provision of extra Group D staff required through the CDM & PHO/ Director, Capital, Hospital, Bhubaneswar.
8. The Paradeep Port Trust Hospital, Paradeep & the railway authorities will be requested to create their own facilities for isolation & management of such cases as this condition is travel related.
9. All concerned are advised for sending the daily health status of passengers under observation to the Director Public Health, Odisha, Bhubaneswar in prescribed proforma.