Quick recipes to make when mom is away
New Delhi: When the cat is away, mice will play is not just a saying but stands true when mother takes a break from the kitchen and leaves the house to other family members. That’s the time one can either crib, order out or don the chef’s hat and showcase one’s culinary skills.
Chef Mrinmoy Acharya of Ciclo Café, Gurgaon and Chef Sanjyot Keer in collaboration with VEEBA have shared easy yet interesting picks this season. Try your hand at these, when planning a get together at home or have your younger siblings to feed but mommy is away.
* Calcutta Egg Roll:
* Ingredients: Julienne cut of cucumber 20 gm, Julienne cut carrots 15 gm, Julienne cut onion 5 gm, Julienne cut beetroot 5 gm, Green chilli 1 tsp, Coriander leaves 1 tsp, Lemon juice ½ tsp, Roasted peanut 1 tsp, Tomato ketchup 1 tbs, Kasundi 1 tsp, Egg 2, Flour roti 1, Olive oil 1 tbs, Salt to taste
* Method: Preheat the pan, put oil in the pan, let the oil get little warm, put eggs wait for 30 to 40 seconds, and then put flour tortilla, cook the tortilla both sides for 1 minute and remove the tortilla. Now mix all the vegetables and peanuts, green chills, coriander, and put the sauce and salt. Then stuff the vegetable mixture in the tortilla and wrap.
* Quinoa, beetroot and orange salad:
* Ingredients: Quinoa 50 gms, hot water 150ml , Beetroot one small, Fresh orange one Assorted, lettuce 100 gms, Olive oil one tbs, Balsamic vinegar one tbs, Roasted almond 2 gms, Salt and pepper to taste
* Method: Take a bowl, put 150 ml of hot water, soak the quinoa for 10 minutes. Then strain quinoa, put that quinoa into a fresh bowl. Add some seasoning like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, put assorted lettuce mix it properly, then put it in a fresh serving plate. Take the beet root cut into small cubes and marinate with seasoning salt pepper and balsamic vinegar and olive oil, put these in the same plate of quinoa and top up with peeled orange slice.
* Papdi Pizza:
* Ingredients: ¼ cup capsicum, ¼ cup chopped olives, ¼ cup sweet corn, ¼ cup chopped onion, ½ cup Veeba pizza pasta sauce, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, 24 nos. papdi
* Method: In a bowl add finely chopped capsicum, chopped olives, sweet corn, chopped onions and Veeba pizza pasta sauce. Give it a nice mix. Now take sev puri papdis and spoon some pizza topping mixture on top of each puri. Top the puris with grated mozzarella cheese. Garnish with sliced olive. Pre-heat your oven at 200°C and bake for 3-5 minutes on the top most rack. Serve immediately
* Barbeque paneer bruschetta-
* Ingredients: 100-gram paneer, salt to taste, ¼ tsp black pepper powder, 3-4 tbsp, barbecue sauce, pizza topping, ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, French bread
* Method: In a bowl mix diced paneer, salt to taste, crushed black pepper and Veeba barbecue sauce. Slice French bread into 1 cm thickness. Apply pizza topping and top with the barbecue paneer mixture. Top with grated cheese. Pre-heat oven at 200°C and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.