Malkangiri: In view of increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Malkangiri, the district administration announced weekend shutdown in areas under Malkangiri Municipality and NAC Balimela area till end of August.
By the order of Malkangiri Collector Manish Agarwal, the shutdown will be enforced on all Saturdays and Sundays in the month of August i.e on 8th – 9th, 15th – 16th, 22nd – 23rd and 29th – 30th in the above mentioned areas of the tribal district.
During weekend shutdown, all activities will remain closed except essential services and healthcare services.
Following activities will be allowed during weekend shutdown:
- All medical establishment including hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, medicine stores, movement of ambulance and all medical personnel
- District and Municipal Administration/police/fire services
- Central & State Govt officials on emergency duty
- Telecom services
- Petrol pumps
- Print and Electronic media identified by the district police
- Water supply, sanitation and sewerage workers
- Electricity supply and distribution
- Movement of goods and goods carriers whether loaded or unloaded
- Service sector industries including hotel & hospitalities
- Road transport on highways and road movement of transiting vehicles
- Movement of public transport, private vehicles and taxis to and from bus terminals only in case of emergency for facilitating movement of passengers by road
- Marriages and funerals with permission from the undersigned
- Operation of bus terminals and their associated offices, movement of associated personnel and activities
- Home delivery of food, groceries, vegetables, and essential items by restaurants and aggregators such as Zomato and Swiggy
- Dhabas along National and State Highways/major roads for takeaway only
- Milk booths
- Food & grocery stores for home delivery only
- Newspaper hawkers between 5.00 AM and 8.00 AM only
Any deviation of this order will entail prosecution under the penal provisions of Disaster Management Act, 2005, Epidemic Disease Act, 1897 and IPC.
Worth mentioning, the district has registered total 809 COVID-19 cases with 390 active cases so far. The virus has claimed two lives.