Woman dead, husband critically injured in fire mishap caused due to AC short-circuit

Berhampur: An elderly woman was killed and her husband sustained grievous injuries in Lochapada Road locality under Berhampur Sadar police limits of Ganjam yesterday afternoon in an incident of fire caused due to short circuit in the air-conditioner, which was installed in the couple’s bedroom.

The deceased woman was identified as Uttara Sahu, who had around 70 percent burn injuries.

Uttara’s husband has been identified as Pravakar Sahu, who became critical due to asphyxiation.

The woman succumbed late last night on the way while being shifted from Berhampur MKCG Medical College and Hospital (MKCGMCH) to Cuttack SCB Medical College and Hospital in critical condition.

According to a senior police official, the elderly couple was sleeping on the intervening night inside their bedroom located upstairs of the house at Braja Nagar, when the fatal inferno took place.

An electrical mechanic Arun Kumar Behera who was repairing a fan downstairs could notice thick smoke coming out of the building. Arun shouted and alerted the neighbours about the blaze.

On being informed, a team of local fire services personnel reached the spot and rescued the couple.

“Some locals with the help of fire services personnel broke open a door of the house and barged into the room to see the couple in critical condition. The lone son of the couple works elsewhere and resides outside the district. The incident appears to be a case of short-circuit,” the official expressed.

Berhampur Sadar police have launched a detailed probe into the incident, which is underway.

Also Read

Comments are closed.