Death of journalist Navin Das’ son Manish Anurag: Two friends surrender before police

Bhubaneswar: In a major development in the case of the death of senior journalist Navin Das’ son Manish Anurag, the deceased’s two friends today surrendered before police in Kandhamal.

The duo has been identified as Dinesh Mohapatra alias Litu and Mrutyunjaya alias Muna. The two along with Manish had reportedly gone to Hotel South City at Patrapada in Bhubaneswar on the fateful night.

They will be brought to Bhubaneswar from Kandhamal soon, reports said.

The Twin City Commissionerate Police had earlier detained another friend of Manish for questioning.

Also read– Death Of Journalist Navin Das’ Son: Police Trace Car, Detain Friend.

Preliminary reports of post-mortem revealed that he died due to respiratory arrest.

Recovery of the body of 30-year-old Manish from Namrakani pond in Patrapada under Tamando police limits in Odisha capital on October 10 has raised several questions regarding the circumstances under which the youth died.

As per reports, Manish, who was to get married in November, had on October 9 gone for buying dresses for the wedding. He telephoned his family members around 11 pm while being at a friend’s eatery (dhaba) in Infocity area and informed them that he would be late in returning home. Later, he called his mother and told her that he was kidnapped and the abductors were thrashing him and demanding money to release him.

His kin soon informed the Infocity police about the incident, following which the cops traced his mobile phone number and ascertained that he was preset in Tomando area. Subsequently, the Tomando police was also informed.

In the meantime, Manish’s mother had already sent a particular amount of money in two phases through online mode.

He talked to his parents on the phone for the last time around 4 am on October 10, during which he was heard weeping. Moreover, a friend of Manish also talked to his parents during the telephone call and told them that their son would reach home soon. Later, his mobile phone was found to be switched off.

His car was found parked near the dhaba in the morning of October 10. In the afternoon, his body was recovered from the pond in Patrapada. Though the reason behind the death was yet to be ascertained, his father alleged that he was murdered.

The Twin City Commissionerate Police has initiated the process for a diatom test to ascertain whether Manish drowned in the pond or his body was thrown into the water body after his murder.

Also Read

Comments are closed.