Puri Market Complex fire yet to be doused after more than 12 hours

Puri: A major fire that broke out at Samrat Market Complex on the Grand Road here last evening was yet to be doused completely even after more than 12 hours of the incident.

Fire Services personnel were struggling to take the situation under control as thick smoke was seen billowing out of the building.

Moreover, the fire reportedly spread to a bank and other shops on the second floor from the first floor, making the firefighting tougher.

Narrow passage and closure of shops in the market complex due to Holi have become a challenge for the Fire Services personnel. As many as three of them were injured in the firefighting process and were admitted to the Puri District Headquarters Hospital here.

The fire broke out from a garments shop on the first floor of the market complex at around 8.30 pm, yesterday. Later, the flame started engulfing other portions of the building.

At least three persons sustained injuries in the incident and were hospitalised.

Though the reason behind the outbreak of fire was yet to be ascertained, it is being suspected that electrical short circuit might have led to the mishap.

Electricity supply in the locality has been discontinued to avoid any further untoward incident.

“Around 90 firefighters and 12 fire dousing vehicles have been engaged. It is a challenging task as there is lack of exit and approach road. Efforts are on to douse the flame at the earliest,” said Fire Services DG Santosh Upadhyay.

Also Read

Comments are closed.