10 simple exercises to keep you going through the day
Bhubaneswar: Do you often wake up in the morning and still don’t feel completely awake? Does your body feel tired and achy even after a long night’s sleep?
Perhaps you didn’t sleep enough. Or maybe, your muscles are craving for some deep stretches to boost themselves up.
Like a machine needs regular lubricating for a better output, our body also needs little stretching and relaxing every now and then. Hence, it is imperative that one should include some yoga, stretches and simple exercises in their daily routine. If you are wondering ‘which ones’, we have put together 10 simple yet extremely effective stretches and yoga poses that will not just boost your body but your spirits as well:
- Palm Tree Pose (Urdhva Hastasana): a standing upward hand stretch that’s basically the best way to begin with a stretch or workout routine. This stretch stimulates the nervous system as a whole, clears up congestion, tones the abdominal muscles and fires up the digestion system.
- Neck and shoulder stretch: even the simplest of side to side neck movement and shoulder stretches can help release muscles tension, improve posture, relieve pain around the neck and shoulder, reduce headache and sweep away stress.
- Cat-and-cow stretch (Marjaryasana/Bitilasana): this set of stretches tones the gastrointestinal tract, increases neck, shoulder and spinal flexibility and also helps with emotional balance and mental stability.
- Downward facing dog (Adho Mukha Shvanas): this pose stretches hips, hamstrings and calves, opens chest, shoulder and spine. It also helps with blood flow to the brain and works wonders in relieving back pain.
- Cobra: it opens up the heart and lungs, gives a tender stretch to from chest to abdomen, strengthens the spine and firms up butt muscles. It also helps with stress relief and fatigue
- Knee to chest: this stretch works on strengthening and lengthening hip and lower back. It also helps get rid of abdominal bloating.
- Supine Spinal Twist (Supta Matsyendrasana) : it promotes digestion, increases spinal flexibility, massages internal organs and helps relieve back pain.
- Standing forward bend: apart from stretching the entire body starting from the neck to the ankles, this stretch calms you down and helps fight stress, anxiety and depression. It calms the body down and soothes the nerves for a better blood circulation.
- Hamstring stretch: this stretch again improves flexibility and posture, fight back pain and boosts the muscles when done before and after every workout.
- Standing quad stretch: this stretch, before and after every workout or yoga routine, loosen up the muscles and leaves them more flexible. Also it’s a great way to calm the body down after a workout routine.
So grab your workout outfits and get on with your favourite stretches.