Neonate injured in fire mishap in Sishu Bhawan dies

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Cuttack, Dec 4:

The newborn child who had sustained burn injuries at the neonatal unit of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics, popularly known as Sishu Bhawan, in Odisha’s Cuttack died late on Thursday night.

fire sishu bhawan

The 26-day-old baby was injured in the fire that broke out from an electric warmer in the newborn ward of the government-run premier paediatric institute on November 29.

After undergoing treatment for nearly a week, the newborn child died late yesterday night.

The deceased hailed from Sanarahama village in Mahakalapada Tehsil of Kendrapara district.

It may be recalled that that a major fire broke out at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of Sishu Bhawan causing heavy damage to the 24-bed ward. Fire tenders were rushed to the spot and engaged to contain the fire.

At least 22 neonatal patients admitted to the premier government-run facility were shifted to other wards of the hospital.

Soon after the incident, the District Collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation. Mishra had ordered for a technical committee probe into the incident.

The Collector had directed the District Technical Committee to investigate the incident and submit the probe report within seven days. The Committee comprised of four officials who are inquiring into the matter.

Also Read

Comments are closed.