Fire mishap in Vedanta-Facor plant: 1 worker dies in Mumbai hospital; Section 144 extended again

Randia: One of the two workers, who were previously airlifted to National Burns Hospital in Mumbai in critical condition, succumbed to his injuries last night while undergoing treatment. On the other hand, Section 144 was extended again in and around the Plant premises here today.

Consecutively, the promulgation of the prohibitory order was extended for the second time and will remain in force from 6 AM of April 17 up to 6 AM of April 19, following the sad demise of the worker.

The two workers identified as Purna Chandra Sutar from Koranta village and Bijay Kumar Behera from Randia locality had sustained grievous burn injuries on April 11 as fire sparkles fell on them at the Vedanta-Facor plant in Randia of Bhadrak district and were later shifted to Mumbai for better treatment.

Palpable tension has been prevailing in the area since April 11, an administrative official stated.

Views of the Plant authorities in connection with the fire mishap have not been obtained yet despite attempts.

It is pertinent to mention, the district administration had clamped Section 144 of the CrPC over the spot and in and around 200 metre radius of the industrial complex. Accordingly, the IIC of Bhadrak Rural police station was directed to promulgate the order on the spot and take necessary and immediate steps to disperse the mob who are creating disturbance over the spot and to take action as per law against those persons, an order earlier issued by Bhadrak Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) read.

A large mob including some workers and local residents had resorted to the destruction of the industry’s properties and blocked State Highway by burning tyres and shouting slogans.

A police source had said that the two were working at the Plant site when the mishap occurred. Initially, they were rushed to the district headquarters hospital (DHH) in Bhadrak for treatment. Later, they were shifted to Cuttack SCB Medical College and Hospital (SCBMCH) after their condition deteriorated.

A similar incident had occurred earlier in the unit owned by Vedanta-Facor, a month ago. The mishap then triggered tension after a worker received severe burn injuries due to fire sparkles falling on him.

The injured was shifted to SCBMCH in critical condition and later died while undergoing treatment.

Also Read

Comments are closed.