Bhubaneswar: Refrigerators make our daily lives much convenient. From milk to left-over foods, they store everything for us for later use. But, did you know, not everything should be refrigerated?
Here are 10 things we should not store in the refrigerator:
- Tomatoes – store them on the kitchen-shelf as refrigerating tomatoes alter their texture and taste.
- Bananas- these ripen in warm temperature and open-air and the light slows down their decay.
- Bread– these taste best when consumed fresh and fluffy. When refrigerated, they dry-up and stale.
- Oil- it solidifies on refrigeration
- Honey– refrigerating honey makes it unpalatable.
- Potatoes- these are supposed to be stored at room temperature. Refrigerating simply speeds up its spoilage.
- Onions- these are again ‘to-go-to-pantry’ stuff. However, if there’s a slice you need to preserve for next time, make sure you don’t store it next to any dish, fruit, or vegetable basket.
- Garlic- these again need to be stored in the open air in the pantry.
- Ketchup- experts suggest that ketchup doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Tomatoes are naturally acidic and that helps in preserving them at room temperature.
- Coffee- this does well stored on the countertop. Once put in the fridge, it tends to pick up other flavours around it.