Bhubaneswar: Amidst the corona virus scare, the Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) today issued an advisory for workplaces to prevent infection with the killer virus.
The advisory enlists precautionary measures to be adopted at workplaces:
1) Make sure your workplace is clean & hygienic
- Surfaces ( e.g. desks & tables) and objects (telephone, keyboards)
need to be wiped with disinfectant like 70% alcohol regularly
2) Promote regular and thorough hand washing by employees
- Make available soap/ sanitizing hand rub etc. near the wash basin
- Make available running water as frequent hand washing kills the virus and prevents spread of COVID- 19
- Display posters promoting steps of hand washing
3) Promote good respiratory hygiene in work place
- Display posters promoting respiratory hygiene i.e. cough etiquette with other communication measures
- Ensure availability of tissue papers / masks along with closed bins for hygienic disposal
4) Advise employees for self isolation at home whenever they develop flu like symptoms because COVID – 19 spreads in community even with mild cough & low grade fever
5) Avoid hand-shaking, hugging and maintain a safe distance (1 meter)
6) Employees may be addressed to avoid crowded places like malls, markets, stations, melas etc. unless required
7) Maintain a safe distance from any person having the symptoms of cough, running nose, etc
8) Avoid sending employees to affected countries, unless highly required
Worth mentioning, World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID- 19) as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. Till date more than 75 countries have been affected with the disease.
COVID-19 spreads through droplets and fomites when someone with COVID-19 symptoms coughs and exhales release droplets. These droplets fall on nearby surfaces and objects such as desks, tables, or telephones etc. People can catch the infection by touching the contaminated surface / objects and touching their eyes, nose, mouth etc.
COVID -19 spreads in a similar way to flu. Most persons infected with COVID-19 experience mild symptoms and recover. Elderly people over are more vulnerable. A person can also directly inhale the droplets from a coughing infected person if he is too close (within 1 meter).