World Athletics Day is observed on May 7, every year with the objective to raise awareness on the importance of fitness and encourage people to get more involved in sports and athletics.
The day was first observed in 1996. It was launched by the then International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) President Primo Nebiolo. Every year, on World Athletics Day, the World Athletics Federation and IAAF organized sports events in several schools and colleges since then.
International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) was founded in 1912 to organize various sports events and athletics. In 2001, the name of the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) was changed to International Association of Athletics Federations. Later, in 2019, the name was once again changed to World Athletics.
The theme for World Athletics Day 2022 is yet to be announced.
World Athletics Day is observed to impart knowledge about sports among children; encourage them and the youth to lead a fit and healthy life. The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) plays major role in organizing various sports events in India including national championships, Grand Prix series, IAAF-AFI kids’ athletics, etc.
On World Athletics Day 2022, here are some quotes on athletics to take inspiration from:
- “Nothing good comes in life or athletics unless a lot of hard work has preceded the effort. Only temporary success is achieved by taking short cuts.”― Roger Staubach.
- “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do”― John Wooden.
- “We are human beings, at the end of the day. Success and failure are a part and parcel of our life.” ― Hima Das.
- “The formula for success is simple: practice and concentration then more practice and more concentration”― Babe Didrikson Zaharias.
- “A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” ― Mary Lou Retton.