Lal Bahadur Shastri (October 2, 1904-January 11, 1966) was the second Prime Minister of India.
The statesman’s “Jai Jawan Jai Kisan” slogan became very popular during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965.
He promoted the White Revolution and Green Revolution in the country.
He was born to Sharada Prasad Srivastava and Ramdulari Devi in Mughalsarai, Uttar Pradesh.
On the occasion of his death anniversary, here are ten quotes by him.
Quotes by Lal Bahadur Shastri
- We believe in the dignity of man as an individual, whatever his race, color or creed, and his right to better, fuller, and richer life.
- We believe in peace in the settlement of all disputes through peaceful means, in the abolition of war, and, more particularly, nuclear war.
- Our way is straight and clear – the building up of a socialist democracy at home, with freedom and prosperity for all, and the maintenance of world peace and friendship with all nations abroad.
- We must fight for peace bravely as we fought in war.
- Our country has often stood like a solid rock in the face of common danger, and there is a deep underlying unity which runs like a golden thread through all our seeming diversity.
- The unique thing about our country is that we have Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis, and people of all other religions. We have temples and mosques, gurdwaras and churches. But we do not bring all this into politics… This is the difference between India and Pakistan.
- We can win respect in the world only if we are strong internally and can banish poverty and unemployment from our country.
- India will have to hang down her head in shame if even one person is left who is said in any way to be untouchable.
- The basic idea of governance, as I see it, is to hold the society together so that it can develop and march towards certain goals.
- We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world.